...a loving, quirky community church...
For 90 years the First Presbyterian Church of Daytona Beach has sought to be a beacon of Christ’s love on the beachside and beyond. From its original location at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Wild Olive, the growing congregation moved a few blocks south to a Spanish Colonial campus on Grandview Avenue in 1951. The church remains committed to the betterment of its neighborhood, offering programs for children and youth and a community garden with 40 plots where local residents can raise vegetables and flowers. Having birthed seven other Presbyterian churches throughout the Halifax region, First Presbyterian is now poised to launch its eighth daughter congregation, offering specialized ministry to Hungarian-Americans. This racially and economically diverse congregation revels in making room for all who would follow Jesus Christ. It is both unconventionally traditional and beautifully eclectic. We welcome YOU to join us!
WE ARE THE BODY OF CHRIST
hearts and minds open to God
arms and ears open to neighbors
hands and feet ready to serve
This huge, intricate, elaborate and beautiful quilt contains something from each and every member of First Presbyterian Church -- a shred of cloth from a pillow, a blouse, a napkin or other material that "speaks" to each person's experiences. They were all sewn together by volunteers, and it now graces our sanctuary. Stop by and check it out!
The Pastor Anderson was ordained as Minister of Word and Sacrament by the Presbytery of Santa Barbara in 1984. He served churches at both ends of Pennsylvania prior to coming to Florida, where until recently he has pastored in Melbourne since 1993. A graduated of Westmont College (CA) and Princeton Theological Seminary, Pastor Anderson resides near the church while his wife of 27 years, Lane, directs a preschool and teaches childcare at Eau Gallie High School in Melbourne. The Andersons have three grown children, all of whom are students in Massachusetts.